Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shall We Dance?

Today is a rainy spring day, and so was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before…well, OK, the day before that was actually sunny. One sunny day per week so far this spring? Not bad! Do rainy days and Mondays get me down? No way! Here is what rain means to me! The smell of the rain and the cloudy skies remind me that we are on the last few weeks before school is out. Summer is almost here! Amazing how the school years remain such a large part of my adult life. I still have nightmares that I can't remember my locker combination and I'm late to class, or I can’t remember what class I have so I go to the wrong one. I’ve only been out of school now for…hmmm... 17 years! But somehow the excitement of the beginning of summer is still awake in me. Most of all, I love the rain because it reminds me of my mother. Oh, how she loves the rain! Who better to water the flowers and plants than God himself? There’s a quote about learning to dance in the rain. Lucky for me, that’s something I don’t have to learn. My mother often went outside with us during the biggest downpours and we DANCED! I do not dread or fear the rain. Instead, I welcome it and the beautiful memories of fun, of laughter. Shall we DANCE?

2 comments:

  1. I love it when summer starts too. It's a deep embedded feeling. Your mom is truly an amazing woman.

    That was a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS This is Angie Staley Backman!

    ReplyDelete